For boaters and watersports enthusiasts who want to run with the best, the Garmin GPSMAP 78s high-sensitivity receiver, new molded rubber side grips, plus a micrSD card slot for loading additional maps. And it floats!
The GPSMAP 78s comes with built-in worldwide basemap, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. And, like the rest of the 78-series, the 78s is IPX7 waterproof and even floats in water.
The GPSMAP 78s has a built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass, which shows your heading even when you are standing still, without holding it level. Its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude, and you can even use it to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.
With the GPSMAP 78s you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly other compatible device users. Now you can send the location of your favorite fishing spot to a friend to find. Sharing data is easy. Just press Send to transfer your information to similar units.
With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver and HotFix satellite prediction, the GPSMAP 78s locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you are in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on the GPSMAP 78s to help you find your way when you need it the most.
Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed marine, topographic and road maps, available on microSD card. Conveniently plug in BlueChart g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water or City Navigator NT map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you do not have to worry about getting it wet. The GPSMAP 78s also supports BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (Subscription Required), that lets you download satellite images to your device and integrate them with your maps. In addition, the 78s is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
You have been busy exploring and now you want to store and analyze your activities. With a simple connection to your computer and to the Internet, you can get a detailed analysis of your activities and send tracks to your outdoor device using Garmin Connect. This one-stop site offers an activity table and allows you to view your activities on a map using Google Earth. Explore other routes uploaded by millions of Garmin Connect users and share your experiences on Twitter and Facebook. Getting started is easy, so get out there, explore, and share.
The GPSMAP 78s supports geocaching GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit. By going paperless, you are not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. The GPSMAP 78s stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! Simply upload the GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches. Slim and lightweight, the 78s is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.
The GPSMAP 78s: Colorful maps, durable design and buoyant – everything a mariner needs.
- UNIT DIMENSIONS: 2.60" x 6.00" x 1.20" (6.6cm x 15.2cm x 3.0cm)
- DISPLAY SIZE: 1.43" x 2.15" (3.6cm x 5.5cm); 2.60" diag (6.6cm)
- DISPLAY RESOLUTION: 160 x 240 pixels
- DISPLAY TYPE: Transflective, 65K color TFT
- WEIGHT: 7.7 oz. (218.3g) w/batteries
- BATTERY: Two AA batteries (Not Included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- BATTERY LIFE: 20 hours
- WATERPROOF: Yes (IPX7)
- FLOATS: Yes
- HIGH-SENSITIVITY RECEIVER: Yes
- INTERFACE: High-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
- BASEMAP: Yes
- ABILITY TO ADD MAPS: Yes
- BUILT-IN MEMORY: 1.7 GB
- ACCEPTS DATA CARDS: microSD card (Not Included)
- WAYPOINTS/FAVORITES/LOCATIONS: 2,000
- ROUTES: 200
- TRACK LOG: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
- AUTOMATIC ROUTING (TURN BY TURN ROUTING ON ROADS): Yes (w/optional mapping for detailed roads)
- ELECTRONIC COMPASS: Yes (Tilt-compensated, 3-axis)
- TOUCHSCREEN: No
- BAROMETRIC ALTIMETER: Yes
- CAMERA: No
- GEOCACHING FRIENDLY: Yes (paperless)
- CUSTOM MAPS COMPATIBLE: Yes
- PHOTO NAVIGATION (NAVIGATE TO GEOTAGGED PHOTOS): Yes
- OUTDOOR GPS GAMES: No
- HUNT/FISH/ CALENDAR: Yes
- SUN AND MOON INFORMATION: Yes
- TIDE TABLES: Yes
- AREA CALCULATION: Yes
- CUSTOM POIs (ABILITY TO ADD ADDITIONAL POINTS OF INTEREST): Yes
- UNIT-TO-UNIT TRANSFER (SHARES DATA WIRELESSLY WITH SIMILAR UNITS): Yes
- PICTURE VIEWER: No
- GARMIN CONNECT™ COMPATIBLE (ONLINE COMMUNITY WHERE YOU ANALYZE, CATEGORIZE AND SHARE DATA): Yes